No one is immune to needing pest control. Murrieta homeowners and business-owners from all walks of life may find themselves in need of this service from time to time when rodents, insects and other pests find a way to get into their residence or property. As winter approaches, there is no denying that pests have more incentive to get inside and escape the increasingly cold temperatures and harsh weather conditions outdoors. In fact, a recent study showed that as many as 21 million American homes are invaded by rodents each year and once you factor in the statistics for spider control and termite control, Murrieta homeowners can see the risk is clear. We are here to help when pests are already in your home or place of business, but we also want to help share some simple tips to make this a less likely possibility.
Here are a few simple steps you can follow to help avoid those pesky pests as the weather gets more frightful this season:
- Anything that might attract pests, especially food, should be stored in sealed plastic containers rather than cardboard boxes.
- Clean up all the dishes right after meals are over and pay extra attention to the cleanliness of countertops where food is chopped, as even the smallest crumbs can attract insects who can feed a whole colony from your unnoticeable scraps.
- Make sure your garbage cans are sealed well at all times and take out the trash as soon as it’s full. Also keep trash cans and chopped firewood away from the building so as not to invite unwanted guests in.
- If you have a chimney, make sure it’s sealed with a screen. Do the same for all openings, such as vents, to prevent the need for rodent control. Murrieta homes with uncovered chimneys and vents are like beacons for rodents trying to get in from the cold.
- Make sure all holes and cracks are sealed, and windows and basement foundations are sealed as tightly as possible, so pests ranging from spiders to termites to mice can’t get inside your home or place of business from the outside.
- Keep your home dry and less appealing to pests by installing diverts or gutters around your roof and home.
- Stay on the lookout for scurrying sounds, rodent feces, and gnaw marks in your home’s insulation and wiring. These are sure signs that rodents are inside and you need professional assistance.
- Also stay on the lookout for signs of insect infestations such as termite droppings, ant trails, hopping fleas and eggs in webs that signal the need for bug and spider control. Murrieta residents should contact the professionals as soon as these telltale signs materialize.
If you find any of the signs mentioned in the last two steps, make sure to call us right away and don’t try to handle the problem with store-bought remedies. We’ll make sure the pests are gone for good without compromising the health and safety of your home and everyone indoors.